Sunday, February 20, 2011

25 January 2012 - I'll be at Tahrir Square

History shall forever commemorate this day as the anniversary of the day when the شباب of the Arab World took the bull by the horns and took to the streets, demanding their rights, and the rights of their parents before them, that have been neglected and abused for 30 years.

Freedom came at a high price, in order for an arrogant dictator to cling to the facade of his failing leadership for 18 days, 365 brave men, women and children made the ultimate sacrifice before this tyrant finally decided to abdicate.

Now that the storm has been cleared, and harder times still loom ahead, I find myself wondering, what can I do to honor these fallen innocents? How can I, how can we, show them appreciation for their sacrifice?

I decided to plan an even on Facebook, the source of unifying the masses that eventually lead to the toppling of the corrupt regime, 25th January 2012, and I have vowed that on the 25th of January, 2012, I shall be in Egypt, at Tahrir Square.

For those that missed these historic events; Wikipedia now has a page dedicated to this, so it may forever remain in the annals of history, here:

The jist of the revolution:

25 January 2011:
Nationwide protests against the government of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak began, inspired by Tunisia's uprising. Tens of thousands of protestors gathered in Cairo, with thousands more in cities throughout Egypt. The protests were generally non-violent, but there were reports of some casualties among both civilians and police.

28 January 2011:
The “Day of Rage” protests began. Shortly after Friday prayers, hundreds of thousands gathered in Cairo and other Egyptian cities. Opposition leader Mohammed ElBaradei traveled to Cairo to participate. Some looting was reported, and the Egyptian government ordered the military to assist police. International fears of violence grew, but no major casualties were reported.

29 January 2011:
Protests continued as military presence in Cairo increased. A curfew was instituted, but protests continued throughout the night. The military showed restraint, reportedly refusing to obey orders to use live ammunition; there were no reports of major casualties.

1 February 2011:
After continued nationwide unrest, Mubarak addressed the people and offered several concessions. In addition to proclaiming he would not run for another term in the September 2011 elections, he promised political reforms. He said that he would stay in office to ensure a peaceful transition. Pro-Mubarak and anti-Mubarak groups began to clash in small but violent interactions throughout the night.

2 February 2011:
Violence escalated as waves of Mubarak supporters met anti-government protestors. The military limited the violence, constantly separating anti-Mubarak and pro-Mubarak groups. President Mubarak, in interviews with various news agencies, refused to step down. Violence toward international journalists and news agencies escalated; speculation grew that Mubarak was actively increasing instability as a way to step in and end the protests.

5 February 2011:
Protests in Cairo and throughout the nation continued. Egyptian Christians held Sunday Mass in Tahrir Square, protected by a ring of Muslims. Negotiations began between Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman and opposition representatives. The Egyptian army increased its security role, maintaining order and protecting Egypt’s museums. Suleiman offered political and constitutional reforms while other members of the Mubarak regime accuses nations, including the US, of interfering in Egypt’s affairs.

10 February 2011:
Mubarak formally addressed Egypt amid reports of a possible military coup, but instead of his expected resignation, he stated his powers would transfer to Vice President Suleiman, and he would remain in Egypt as its head of state. Anger and disappointment spread through crowds in Cairo, and demonstrations began to escalate in number and intensity throughout Egypt.

11 February 2011:
Massive protests in response to Mubarak’s speech continued in many Egyptian cities. At 6:00 p.m. local time, Suleiman announced Mubarak's resignation and that the Supreme Council of Egyptian Armed Forces would assume leadership of the country.

13 February 2011:
The Supreme Council of Egyptian Armed Forces dissolved Egypt’s parliament and suspended the Constitution. The council also declared that it would hold power for six months or until elections could be held, whichever came first. ElBaradei urged the council to provide more details to the Egyptian people regarding its plans. Major protests subsided but uncertainty remained, and many pledged to keep returning to Tahrir square until all demands had been met.

No comments: