Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Public Service Announcement: Mislabeled Medicine - A real danger

How many times were you put in a situation where you refute something as never to happen to you, only to have it bite you in the proverbial back-side, at times almost right after?

Doesn't make sense right? Lets look at two real life examples:

I got it into my head at one point in time that fat-burners can help me shed some excess pounds around my mid section. So whilst on vacation, my younger sibling told me his friend had left some Lipo6 Black with him, so I asked him for it. He was keeping it in a Panadol bottle for some reason.


this cartoon doesnt depict anyone,
just adding a touch of humor
to an otherwise serious topic...

A short couple of days later, my dad had a tooth problem, and as many of you who are familiar with toothache, it is the worst type of pain. So he was looking for Panadol. Next thing we know, my dad is complaining of not being able to sleep, stomach cramps, headaches etc.



Simple question asked at the time, what did you take. He replies, Panadol, and shows us the Panadol bottle containing the fat-burners.

We had a laugh about it at the time, how can one confuse Panadol (white tablets) with Lipo6 (black capsules), but in his defence, how was he to know the bottle contained anything but, how often do we do things based on blind faith?

Now that I ponder this however, it could have been really dangerous. Fat burners have a whole lot of side effects, some include, but are not limited to:

Heart
Fat burners are stimulants and they can cause an increased heart rate. Overdoses are possible and can be fatal.

Allergies
Fat burners often times have a lot of ingredients in them. People can take these not knowing if they are allergic to something and end up having a bad reaction.

Sleep
If fat burners are taken late in the day, this can affect sleep patterns. Insomnia and restlessness can occur.

Mood
Fat burners can also take there toll on the nervous system. Irritability and edginess can develop.

Stomach
The user can experience stomach problems such as cramps, constipation and diarrhea.

So, lesson number one, if you do do this, please keep said bottle away from anyone who may be liable to use it for its intended purpose, oblivious to what is inside.

Lesson number 2, one night I am out with my friend and he is lecturing me on how to be a perfect gentlemen (not that I need lessons mind you, but, as Baz Luhrman said, Be patient with those who supply it[advice]), he touched on the subject of the man always paying, and to always keep a reserve of cash in your wallet (who uses cash in Kuwait nowadays, its plastic, plastic, plastic).

So, as he is telling me is, I am quick to reassure him that can never happen to me, because I never go anywhere without my cards (plus I always pay, ladies take note).

Lo and behold, we are at the Salmiya Co-op, at the cashiers, and I find out that my card is (dramatic pause)

NOT THERE! On the very, exact, same day my friend was lecturing me about the importance of keeping cash. And guess what, I didnt have enough cash on me either.



So, I had to drive all the way back home, get my card, and go back there to pay.

Suffice to say, lesson learnt, and now I always keep atleast 20KD in my wallet for emergency purposes.

And guess what? Today, I forgot my wallet @ home...

The hits just keep on comin'.

No comments: