Thursday, April 01, 2010

In today's obituaries: The Tragic Demise of the English Language

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!" Cool Hand Luke

No truer words were ever spoken.

It strikes me as the norm that, as society progresses, and technology advances, we tend to use less and less words. Period.

Fr exmpl, u cn undrstnd ths drble, ys? Now, I know it makes sense to use "TxT language" when, say, texting? But when typing? Come on! Are our fingers that riddled with RSI, our thoughts that complex and our schedule that tight, we cannot offer a few extra key-strokes to get the proper words out? It appears to be the chosen language of this generation; the LOL generation.

The reason I bring this up is I remember during my freshman year, a girl handed in an assignment written in, what I like to dub, Net Slang. She did not know the difference between formal and informal! And I am sure she was not the only case.

"We went over there to see their house, which they're thinking of selling."
This sentence, or one equivalent to it, was taught to me during year 3 or so. Grammar! So are people just plain lazy when they write things such as, "their going to need all the help they can get!", or "there house caught on fire!"? Or is this a deeper seeded error of our culture?

It is amazing how poor grammar has been propelled to new heights, now we do not punish the idiots who do misspell, we applaud them, and give them Grammies & Brit Awards! The so called "Role Models" are also embracing this "Fast Food Culture" were we want everything on the go; our nutrition, and our thoughts.

'Nuff said! (oh, did I do that? Faux pas?)

No comments: