Monday, August 23, 2010

Changes & Woe- Step 1: GCC Business Visa

2010 was a year of change for me. I started a new job, in a career that is completely new to me, 180 degree change, and for the past 8 months I have been learning the ropes.

Internal Audit is my game, as defined by the IIA (Institute of Internal Auditors), Internal Auditing is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization's operations. It helps an organization accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.

In short, we are glorified critics-come-revolutionists, whose purpose is to see how a process is done and compare it to how it should be done, or improve it. Jacks of All Trades.

Now, my first assignment is coming up, an audit in a GCC country. I am very excited as it is the fruition of the months of training, however, now comes the bureaucracy apparent of Saudi Arabia.

I am an accountant by qualification, that is what is written on my Visa, a 4 year degree. Upon visiting the office in-charge of issuing Visas, I was informed that unless it says manager on my Visa, I need more documentation from our office in the other country. To demonstrate, the guy @ the Visa office gave me a sheet and asked me to get one similar. The sheet was made out to a person whose profession is, literally, and I quote "Table Setter" (Sofraji).

'Nuff Said. 

Step one, gathering intel, check.

No comments: