Wednesday, September 01, 2010

In a Party of French Strangers

The year is 1996-7, I was almost 11 years of age. At school, our French teacher thought it a pertinent idea, in order to help us learn La Francais, to converse avec a class from Lycée Francais. Good idea, eh? (or was it L'ecole? dont really remember)


What I was to find out later, was that the Lycée Francais had an abundant resource of gals. And I was an explorer. Keep in mind, I was 11, the tween years, and, well, curious! To say the least. Suffice to say, speaking proper French was NOT my highest priority at the time, cavez vous? All I needed to know was J'adore and J'aime vous :P

So, it all started off fine; comment ca va? ou habit ou? comment tu t'appelle? quelle age a tu? You know, the usual!

I came across one gal, LK. Unbeknown to my french teacher, me and the girl, after exchanging a few, gulp, I cant believe i'm saying this, LETTERS (yes, this was our email back then, email was still catching on) we exchanged phone-numbers (mobiles had not caught on as a trend either!), and were calling.

One fine day as I was playing downstairs, my parents hollered that I had a phone-call. Said girl was inviting me to a party, at her school.



Now, has this ever happened to you? To be invited to a party where, you quite literally know no one, and the girl you are talking to, you have never seen. I deserve a prize for the ultimate in blind dates!
So here I am, in a sea of strangers, and the one person I know, I dont know!

Thats one of my strong points tho, throw me in any environment, and I will click with people, im sociable!

So, LK was taller than me :( (I was still growing!) which made dancing awkward, so we just stuck to talking. I met some of her friends, they were nice, there I was thinking that cussing had me a grown-up when these guys were doing god knows what!

It was an enjoyable, albeit awkward evening. I spent it mostly on the sidelines watching their interactions, talking to her, her friends etc.

I was the only one from the correspondence class who got invited tho! How cool was that?

Email was just starting out, back when dial-up used to cost 30KD a month from KEMS. I tried staying in touch, but we got out of touch.

So LK, if by some weird, bizarre, twist of fate you happen to land upon this, I thank you for the invite, and the anecdote too!

6 comments:

Lost said...

LOL!!! ma fihamt ni9 il post, cuz my french is all in english :P LOL!

but fihamt enough to make me laugh!!! How awkward is that!!!


LOOOOOOOOOOOL @ LETTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I TOLD U, 70!!!!!

LorD AymZ said...

6b make it 65 :P so i dont have to be forced to retirement!

Lost said...

LOL! okay 65 is close enough :P

3ad i just realized you were ALMOST 11. My baby brother is 11. He doesn't like girls though, he's still in his girls have cooties stage.

LorD AymZ said...

you read my mind! i forgot to mention the stages guys go thru; theres the "girls are icky" phase, thats yr 1-3, 4-6, hmm girls are smart+cute, investigate, 7-8, where are the girls?! 9-11 studies, what studies? gimme girls!

Lost said...

LOLOLOL!!!

Lost said...

LOL! my brothers too innocent for all of this!!



.... i think?